Veteran Care

“ As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them” – John F. Kennedy

It is with great joy that Niile All-in Home Care announces her support for our veteran community members seeking home care assistance. This support comes in the form of our partnerships with agencies that specialize in facilitating a little known VA pension benefit that reduces the cost of care for veterans and surviving spouses who require assistance with activities of daily living. This activities ranges from:

  • Bathing
  • Dressing
  • Medication reminders
  • Transportation
  • Meal preparation
  • Transferring to and from bed
  • Respite care
  • Light housekeeping
  • Laundry
  • Companionship
  • Additional services, including help to access other community resources to improve your quality of life

These agencies help veterans in determining eligibility to apply for this benefit, assistance with the application process and the notable 0% loan to veterans, so home care services can begin immediately. This loan is 100% reimbursed by funds from the VA upon approval of the benefit.

Fill out this form to find out if you qualify (Make available for download and sent to

What is Veteran Aid and Attendance Pension?

In line with the congress tittle 38 of the United States code, the Veterans Administration offers a largely unknown pension benefit called “ Veteran Aid and Attendance’. This pension benefit allows veterans and spouses of veterans who require the regular attendance by a caregiver or concierge to assist in personal cares such as bathing, dressing, meal preparation & feeding, medication reminder, incontinences, etc. to receive additional funds benefits. Many families overlook this important benefit; families with veterans or surviving spouses who need additional fund to help care for ailing parents or loved ones.

Veterans Aid and Attendance Pension Benefit Rates for 2017

Applicant(s) Monthly Benefit Amount for 2017
Veteran $1,830
Veteran with Spouse $2,170
Veteran with Sick Spouse $1,438
Surviving Spouse $1,176
Two Veterans Married $2,903


Eligibility for Aid and Attendance Pension

By answering a few simple questions they are able to determine your possible eligibility for the Aid and Attendance pension benefit by using our Veteran Aid and Attendance pension benefit questionnaire. To get started click here (I will send you questionnaire to have attached for download)

To qualify a veteran or surviving spouse will need to meet the following criteria:

1) Military: Are you a veteran or the surviving spouse of a veteran who served at least 90 days on active duty, at least one day during wartime*, with an honorable discharge? (Persian Gulf War veterans must have two years of active duty.)

2) Medical: Do you have a non-service connected medical condition causing you to need assistance with activities of daily living?

3) Money: Do you have limited income and assets? (Your home and car are exempt.)

Did you serve during one of the VA Defined War Periods*

  • World War II: December 7, 1941-December 31, 1946
  • Korean Conflict: June 27, 1950-January 31, 1955
  • Vietnam Era: August 5, 1964-May 7, 1975 . Veterans who served February 28, 1961-August 5, 1964, must have served “in country” (Vietnam).
  • Persian Gulf War: August 2, 1990- date to be prescribed by Presidential Proclamation or law. Must have served active duty for two years.

In other words, the individual applying must qualify medically and financially, and must have served during wartime.

Medical Qualifications for Aid and Attendance Benefit:

  • A wartime veteran or surviving spouse must need the assistance of a caregiver to perform daily tasks, such as eating, dressing, undressing, taking care of the needs of nature, etc.
  • This application will require a medical evaluation from a physician, current medical issues, net worth limitations, and net income, along with out-of-pocket medical expenses.

Financial Qualifications for Aid and Attendance Benefit:

  • An applicant must have on average less than $80,000 in assets, excluding their home and vehicles.

How to Apply for Aid and Attendance;

Supposing you want to facilitate this application yourself

Step 1: Gather the necessary documents

There is much information that needs to be gathered and prepared when applying for the Aid & Attendance Improved Pension. We have compiled a list of the documents you will need, as well as links to download some of the VA and Government Forms that you will need. While it may seem like a daunting task, we recommend that you read through this site to better your understanding of the application process so you are prepared before you speak with any Veterans’ Affairs office.

*Note*: You can submit a one-page VA Form 21-0966

(INTENT TO FILE A CLAIM FOR COMPENSATION AND/OR PENSION, OR SURVIVORS PENSION AND/OR DIC) which will get the claim into the system before you send in the complete application. This is optional, but it will help establish a date for retroactive payments once the benefit is awarded. If submitting Intent to File, the full application has to be submitted within one year to insure the validation of VA Form 21-0966.

To apply for the Aid & Attendance Improved Pension, you will need the following documents. Prepare these before making your filing.

  • Discharge/Separation Papers (DD-214). If you need to request military records, you can either fill out Standard Form 180

or, you can visit the National Archives website for further instructions on how to request military records.

  • Copy of Marriage Certificate and all marital information (unless applying for veteran only)
  • Copy of the Death Certificate (surviving spouses only).
  • Copy of current Social Security award letter (the letter that Social Security sends at the beginning of the year stating what your monthly amount will be for the following year).
  • Net worth information, including bank accounts, CDs, trusts, stocks, bonds, annuities, etc.
  • Proof of all income

from pensions, retirement, interest income from investments, annuities, etc.

that includes current diagnosis, medical status, prognosis, name and address, ability to care for self, ability to travel unattended, etc.

. (If veteran and/or spouse is in nursing home or assisted living facility) and Statement of Occupancy from the facility (ask the facility for this document).

  • Proof of insurance premiums, medications, medical bills or any other medical expenses that are not reimbursed by insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid.
  • List of all doctors and hospitals visited in the last year. Here is a list of possible medical expenses

. Here is a medical expense report (VA Form 21P-8416)

  • Banking information for direct deposit of A&A monthly payments (include a voided check).
  • If you are a court-appointed guardian of the veteran or surviving spouse, a certified copy of the court order of the appointment is required.
  • Employment history (does not apply if applicant is over 65).

Step 2: Complete the necessary VA Application Form for filing

Once you have this information compiled, you will need to obtain and complete VA Form 21-527EZ and/or VA Form 21-534EZ for Special Improved benefits with Aid & Attendance.

Now that you have all your information, follow the instructions on Form 21-527EZ or Form 21-534EZ to file for your Aid & Attendance Improved Pension. If you need assistance with filing your paperwork, you can contact the VA directly or Call us: 832-389-1494 to get you the forms and in touch with our partner agency who would manage the application and also help you get started with care services while your application is under review and approval.

We encourage you to explore all the available options and services provided through the VA and service agencies to find the option that’s right for you and your circumstances.

Step 3: Mail the application

In mailing your application, we highly recommend that you send your completed application via Certified Mail “Return Receipt” to help avoid the potential of the VA stating that the application was not received. Be certain to keep a copy of the entire application for your own records as well as any other correspondence to and from the VA.

The VA has established various processing center across the country that are solely dedicated to processing applications for Improved Pension. When mailing your application, you need to make certain that you send it to the appropriate center assigned for the state where the applicant resides (the applicant is the veteran or spouse). Below is the correct mailing address for the state of Texas.

Department of Veterans Affairs
Claims Intake Center
Attention: St. Paul Pension Center
PO Box 5365
Janesville, WI 53547-5365

For a more comprehensive resource on this application process visit

There you will find unlimited details and resources concerning the VA Aid and Attendance pension benefit.

Skip to content